Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kansas!



One of my oldest, dearest friends, Bernice, moved to Kansas with her husband Ed and daughter Mady a year ago. We were all so sad to see her leave but with all the new technology we were able to keep in touch on a regular basis. To be quite honest, I think I talked more on the phone with her when she moved then I did when she lived down the street.

When I found out Bernice was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple months ago, it hit me pretty hard. I got off the phone with her, shed some tears, received a hug from my husband, and decided that it was time for me to buck-up and do something. In a situation like that knowing what to "do" is the hard part. First, I spent some time praying...lots of praying. Then, I contacted our group of friends and we decided we would put a care package together so that when she was having her procedure done she would have some goodies to remind her that we were thinking of her constantly. Then, I talked to Ty about going out to Kansas to do whatever it was I needed to do. At that point, I wasn't sure if I would be going out to help her recover physically or mentally, I just wanted to get out there!

Plans were made, I put my "big-girl" panties on, waved good-bye to my awesome husband and sweet little girl and I got on a plane all by myself. By the time I got there Bernice was healing-up wonderfully and we were able to spend some quality time together having fun and laughing. I was thrilled to be the first one to arrive and be able to spend some alone time with her for a day. Then Kristi drove in from Texas to hang out with us for a few days. It was so great seeing Kristi, she had moved away probably 15 years ago so we had so much to catch-up on. Then, Jenni and her two kids and two of Bernice's nephews flew in from Arizona. Jenni and her daughter Abby got off the plane and had the stomach flu so they were pretty much quarantined for 24 hours while we tried to keep all the other kiddos busy. By the next day they were feeling better and we were able to hang-out and reminisce a little.

It was so much fun visiting with everyone and touring the beautiful green country of Wichita. I got to see so many gorgeous homes and wildlife...which is crazy for this Arizona native! I saw deer, dead and alive, a skunk, a mountain lion creature, a raccoon, rabbits, squirrels and of course fireflies, the kids had so much fun catching fireflies.

I will forever remember this trip and the memories made!

B, me, and Kristi....


Bernice and Ed's beautiful home...


Can you tell we had loads of fun playing cards...


"Who's that scary chic....?"


"You big faker..."


Hee, hee....


"Where's Kristi....?"


Arizonans arriving...


Hanging out at a fun Amazing Jakes type place....




Ed and Bernice....


Kristi, Bernice, Jenni and me at the country club....



Kristi has to head home, it was sad saying goodbye to her....


We're at a yummy hamburger joint called Timbuktwo...


Me and Jenni on the golf course Bernice lives on....


I'm showing the kiddos I still have it, yep, I can still do cartwheels...ouch!


Beauty!



No comments: