Wednesday, May 13, 2009

He's a keeper!

What can I say...we love this little guy!




Back in March, we had a scare with our 15 year old dog Harley. One morning her face kind of twisted up on one side and her eye was extremely red. I had blamed myself because she had been licking her feet and I kept telling her to STOP but since she's partially deaf I had to walk over and actually move her mouth from her foot. I wasn't sure if I had poked her eye or if I had startled her and she poked her own eye but whatever happened it really shook us up.

Maclaine was crying before school thinking that this was the end of Harley's days. I got home from the gym that morning and looked at her and just sat on the floor with her in my lap crying. Then, I looked up and saw that Ty had tears in his eyes as well. We just thought that the time was coming that we had been dreading. Could it really be time to make that decision? We just didn't know.

We had been talking for awhile that we should probably think about getting another dog so that sweet Harley could train any new dog we brought home and so that it would lessen the blow when it was Harley's time to go.

So, that night we decided to go to Petsmart to ask when they do their adoptions and we also decided to get Harley an eye patch because it seemed like it was really painful to keep the one eye open. We thought we would start calling her "AAR-ly the pirate dog." We got home that night and low and behold Harley looked healed. We think she probably had a stroke.

We still decided to check out Petsmart that Saturday morning. I had been praying all night and morning that God would bring us the "right" dog for our family. I really never in a million years thought we would find a dog that same day. As soon as I saw this cute curly-haired black dog my heart started doing that "thing." You know, that heart-swelling, beating fast kind of thing. The lady in charge told us to take him for a walk to see what we thought and as soon as we got outside I looked at Ty and said, "I think he's the one." We both shared with each other that we had been praying about this and we decided right there that he was going to be ours.

Here's our cute Barnaby.

It was love at first sight I tell ya!




Harley wasn't in love at first



I think he's grown on Harley now



Barnaby is all about making friends!



I'm embarrassed to say I've never loved a dog like I love our Barnaby.

No comments: